09 January 2014

PABLO NERUDA SYNDROME by April Mae M. Berza

I invited Neruda to my
Ward but he refused
That night, I cried
He was resolute
I stole the fountain pen
Of a night-shift nurse
To write an entry
To my journal
Trying to steal
Neruda’s attention

When the nurse
Caught me, Neruda
Felt guilty and he
Opened the windows

If only I could run
Away with him but
I am tied, tired
Of eloping.

Anxiety is my shadow
I swallow a sparrow
There is a lump
On my throat

My journal is bleeding
I asked for the doctor
But he told me
I am just dreaming

#

April Mae M. Berza is a member of Poetic Genius Society. Her poems and short stories appeared in numerous publications in the US, Romania, India, Japan and the Philippines. Nominated in 2012 International Who's Who in Poetry, her poem is broadcast in IndoPacific Radio. She lives in Taguig, Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment